วันจันทร์ที่ 25 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2558

Creating a home automation system! by Mjtrinihobby

Picture of Creating a home automation system! Here is how I automated my Home. I needed a means to;

- manage my solar power system including the ability to switch to/from utility supply should I need it.
- manage the food and water to my three doggies.
- control the outside lights.
- provide metering for the power consumption within the home.
- remotely control/monitor the home.
- Provide voice annunciation for key events (yes I love having my home talk to me like a person).
- a couple other functions.

Now I simply don't have the time or energy to learn how to use those awesome arduino, raspberry pi, Micro controllers etc. Those are for extreme minds (respect!). I can't wrap my head around those things.

So, how did I automate my home? Read on for my solution!

Step 1: The labjack u3 hv!

This USB digital acquisition board is the cornerstone to my home automation needs! It is supported in Windows and several software packages support it!

I got this from Amazon for approximately 130usd.

It has digital I/O, analog I/O, counters, timers, The CB15 extension board brings out more IO from a labjack u3. A single labjack u3 hv has proven sufficient for all my automation needs.

The wiring is straight forward. I used shielded cat5e cables for noise reduction. All the 0VDC busses are tied to the GND terminals of the labjack u3 (I used the shield of the cat5e cables as the 0VDC lines).

Any switches (pushbutton or momentary) I wired between a digital input and GND. When a switch (NO) is physically actuated, the logic input for the digital input goes to FALSE.


To have this beauty working i used a Windows pc (the more energy efficient the better), the driver from the labjack website and a software suite to create the program for decision making.

Read these instructables concerning the actual pc I had used to automate the home.

http://m.instructables.com/id/Undervolt-an-amd-1090t-6-core-cpu-to-save-power/

http://m.instructables.com/id/Efficient-solar-atx-power-supply/

I housed the labjack u3 and other components within a wall mounted ABS enclosure. Here's the instructable on how I did that:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Unified-communication-and-automation-cabinet/

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น